More info about the routePosted: July 8, 2011 | Author: dswingle | Filed under: Uncategorized | Leave a comment »
The major points of interest on the route are numbered above:
1. This is the pen where it starts. It’s all uphill here, and walking it this morning made it pretty clear that this is a bad place to run.
2. Cuesta de Santa Domingo – just a bunch of shops along both sides. There are plenty of areas to bail out here, under fences or into shop doorways.
3. Plaza del Ayuntamiento – A big open plaza area. It’s lined on both sides with a wooden fence.
4. Curva de Mercaderes hacia Estafeta – “Dead Man’s Corner” – This is where you see a lot of the news coverage. It is a 90 degree turn to the right, very slippery. If you end up on the left hand side of this curve, it’s going to be a very bad day for you.
5. Calle Estafeta – This is where I plan to start. It is a bit uphill, and there aren’t a lot of spaces to hide. But with the sharp corner just before, I’m hoping it will slow down the bulls just enough where I can have enough gas in me to make it to the end.
6. Curva de Telefónica – Another curve, but much less sharp and dangerous. It is at the top of a hill, and the rest of the run is downhill into the arena.
7. The entrance to the arena
8. The arena itself